2022-2023 Alberta Natural Gas
Rebate Program Information
Starting October 1, 2022 all consumers connected to the
natural gas distribution system and paying a bill directly to a natural gas retailer with less than 2,500 gigajoules (GJ) of annual natural gas consumption will be eligible for government-provided rebates.
No application will be necessary to receive the rebates
if you are connected to the natural gas distribution system. It
will be in place from October 1, 2022 to March 30, 2023.
Under this rebate program, if the monthly default natural gas
rate from the regulated utility providers (ATCO Gas North,
ATCO Gas South and Apex Utilities) goes above $6.50 per GJ, the government will provide rebates to all consumers covering the difference between $6.50 and the regulated rate, on a consumption basis.
For example, if any of the regulated rates go to $7.50 per GJ for the month of November, then all consumers would receive a rebate on their bill covering $1 for every GJ used during the month
These rebates will appear directly on eligible bills – protecting consumers on both regulated and competitive plans like fixed rate contracts. The rebate amount will appear on your bill as “GOA Utility Commodity Rebate.”
KEY POINTS TO REMEMBER:
- The program comes into effect October 1, 2022 which means that the first possible rebate would appear on your November bill NOT your October bill
- A rebate is only triggered if ATCO Gas North, ATCO Gas South and Apex Utilities/DER pricing
goes above $6.50 per GJ,
- Iron Creek Gas Co-op's gas pricing has no effect on the trigger or rebate amount
- User sites that use over 2500 GJs are NOT eligible for the rebate per the Alberta Government
- Rebates will be applied directly to your bill under “GOA Utility Commodity Rebate.”
If you have any questions or concerns please don't hesitate to reach out to our office.
If you believe you meet the eligibility criteria, but did not get a rebate on your July electricity bill, contact the Utilities Consumer Advocate at 310-4822 or email UCAhelps@gov.ab.ca for support.